Friday, June 8, 2007

Childbirth Classes

Yesterday Dapo and I began our childbirth classes at Crestwood Memorial Hospital. However, we plan to have the baby at Huntsville Hospital, but their childbirth classes were full when we tried to register. The classes are a mixture of childbirth education as well as birthing techniques from Lamaze and Bradley. I really enjoyed learning the Bradley technique since it involved me on a pillow relaxing while Dapo massaged the small of my back. I kidded that we need to practice that one a lot.

Part of the class was introducing ourselves and listing a malady we have faced during our pregnancy. I really have been very fortunate in that I have six weeks to go (!) and my largest complaint to date is swollen ankles. I also had PPPPPs (pups) for about a week somewhere in the 26-28 week range when I started really growing. They are itchy bumps in your stretch marks. It was cured by hydrocortizone cream and cocoa butter. Looking back, I would have been using the cocoa butter every day had I known. As all the other women listed things like leg cramps, backaches, heartburn, indigestion, insomnia, constipation, painful joints, etc. I realize how fortunate I have been, and what a good baby I must have! God is so good to me.

2 comments:

Eso said...

We completed the 4th of 4 childbirth classes last night. We practiced swaddling and changing diapers and the likes. Dapo admitted to being a little nervous for the first time.

Eso said...

We never did learn Lamaze method, only Bradley.