Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Cravings

Early in the pregnancy I had cravings for chicken, bacon and cheese. I also had aversions to sweets and fats. In addition, I craved apples. That's when I actually suspected Jr. was in fact "junior", as Dapo doesn't like sweets at all. I could not eat packaged candy or potato chips or anything like that. I also ate a lot of salad and pears.

In the second trimester I regained my appetite for most sweets and would have mozerella sticks and chocolate milkshakes from Arby's for a snack. I also got even more hungry than I had been in the previous trimester and found myself eating constantly. I really enjoyed peanut butter on almost everything. In the 2nd 1/2 of the 2nd trimester a craving came for jalepenos/cayenne pepper/chiles/anything with heat. You are all probably thinking "that poor baby!". I would not have eaten those things if I thought he objected. I never had so much as a hint of any indigestion, heartburn, or other associated maladies. I thank God for that! I also enjoyed a good pickle and ice cream. Once my feet became so swollen they were more like "legkles" (no, not cankles, legkles) I had to taper off my salt intake...which meant pickles in moderation, which meant baby dills.

Now entering my third trimester I find myself free from cravings or aversions, and focusing on having fun again with cooking. We set up our BBQ in the backyard and I have really enjoyed cooking that way. I am able to cook seafood for Dapo without smelling up the house! We've been delighting ourselves with lots of veggies, meat and water. We are doing our best to eat well and I appreciate Dapo being so supportive of me in that regard.

I've gained only 8.5 lbs at last weigh in at 24 weeks. I feel like I am now making up for lost time, though, and expect to see another 3 or 4 lbs tomorrow. Until then!

No comments: