Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Is that his name?

For those of you who might be wondering, I refer to the baby as "junior", but he will not be Oladapo Olufemi Temitayo Eso, II. I call him junior because I can tell while he is yet not fully formed, that he is so much like his father. I know that he will have some of my characteristics and only my good ones, at that (slim pickins, eh?). But just going by my aversions and cravings I had I know that he really has Dapo's taste. His name will also not be Junior anything, it's just something I call him, and right now he doesn't have a name. Dapo makes a great point, that he wants his son to become greater than he is, so he would never give him a name to say you are a smaller version of me.

So, what are we naming him, then? Initially, Dapo and I discussed giving him an English first name with traditional Yoruba names to follow, since an English name in America would be easier on all involved. But, then we found a Scripture in Proverbs 22:1 which reads, "a good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, loving favor rather than silver and gold". So, we began to pray about the names we were thinking of.

Dapo came up with the name Ayomide (eye-yo-me-day), which is "joy came to me". I like it because I've been so full of joy the entire pregnancy, and feel like he will be a bundle of joy. It has also been said that joy and melody will be in our house. People at church have said that he is going to come out singing and dancing. I am relieved no one has said playing the piano, because that would require a piano to be born, also.

I was online researching Yoruba names and their meanings, and came across Olujimi (oh-loo-gee-me). I ran it by Dapo and initially he didn't like it because I didn't pronounce it right, and what he heard meant something else. It means "God's gift". I think literally it means God gave me. We both like it for obvious reason. Okay, so Olujimi is a mouth full. I realize that, and just as Dapo's full name is Oladapo, Olujimi would go by Jimi. And, as Dapo says, that should be easy enough for the "the" Amercians. I also like Jimi because my dad's name is James, but he goes by Jim. And many of his friends call him Jimmy. So, it would be as though we were giving him a namesake, albeit coincidentally. I pictured me chasing him in diapers around the house when I found the name, so I was elated when Dapo agreed it would be a good one.

Alright, so it would seem that Olujimi Ayomide Eso (eh-show) would be enough and we would stop there, right? Evidently, in my limited understanding of the Yoruba culture, the grandparents of the child also have an opportunity to give the baby a name. The concept is to give the child many names so that they have lots of options to choose from when they grow old enough to pick their given names. So, my parents passed on the name game, and his parents gladly accepted. They came up with many names, but the one we liked was Toluwani (toe-loo-wah-knee), which means "this belongs to God".

So, there you have it. The name we've chosen for him is Olujimi Ayomide Toluwani Eso.

5 comments:

Eso said...

The complete list of names from Dapo's parents gave to give the baby are as follows: Daniel, Toluwani, Ayomide, Oluwanifemi, Jesutofunmi.

Eso said...

Oh, this is funny, Dapo just came home and told me that his dad called today with his OWN list for the baby. I thought the other five names were from both of them. Dapo has the list at work and I'll update tomorrow with the names.

Eso said...

The list that Daddy Eso came up with are as follows: Olukayode (God brings joy), Oludamilola (God blessed me with riches and honor), Olufunmilayo (God gave me joy), Ibukunoluwa (the blessings of God), Opeyemi (I should give praise).

Eso said...

Email from Dapo on 06/29/07:
Hi Honey,
How is your day going? I have it in my heart to make the baby’s first name more specific. Instead of Olujimi (God gifted me), I have the name Oluwafolajimi (God blessed me with untold riches by giving you). He will still be called by Jimi in short. From what Pastor preached on about Jesus asking the blind man to be specific about what he wanted. I also believe that God wants us to be specific about declaring his blessings in our lives. Let me know what you think. We can talk more about it when we get home. Love you iya wo mi atata.

Me.

Eso said...

My response 06/29/07:
E kar sun oko mi,
We can certainly talk about it. I always took God gifted me to mean the baby is gifted, not we are gifted with/by the baby. Even so, my concern is the length of the more specific name, although it is a beautiful name. Let’s discuss it more tonight.
Kari